Jeff has studied at The Boston Conservatory, The New England Conservatory and the College of Saint Rose, where he received a Bachelor of Science in Studio Music, with a concentration in jazz guitar. He has also studied banjo with Bill Keith and Roger Sprung.
He is an award winning multi-instrumentalist and plays guitar, banjo, mandolin, bass, fiddle, piano, and drums. His career has given him a diverse background in classical, jazz, New Age, country, and bluegrass musical styles. He has performed with many bands, as well as in musicals and has an equally wide range of studio recording projects including performing on and producing albums and movie soundtracks.
Jeff won first place in the New Twists for Banjo contest judged by Tony Trischka, and was nominated instrumentalist of the year by the Northeast Country Music Association.
Jeff's most current work in live music includes Out of the Bluegrass (traditional sounding bluegrass with a modern twist,) Saratoga Faire (Celtic music, tunes from the 16th century, original compositions and folk compositions which include both instrumentals and vocals) and the Craig Thaler Quartet (acoustic instrumental jazz.) He can be found in either band at various times in local clubs and at festivals throughout the Capital Region.
Jeff has been a music instructor in the Hudson valley and the Capital District for over 25 years.
Since I was 9 years of age, I knew I wanted to make music my life's work. Now, 44, years later, I am glad to continue to live my dream.
As a performer, I offer many options of musical styles and different sizes of ensembles (as well as solo) to add color and ambience to your wedding, party, or corporate event.
As a teacher, I've logged 32 years of music instruction in all styles, and on the many instruments that have been part of my life-long study and love of music.
As a studio musician and producer, I have coached rock bands to hone their skills. I have helped songwriters see their creative visions through to finished products. And to further hone my own skills, I received a degree (magna cum laude) from the College of Saint Rose.
- Weddings and special occasions
- Corporate Events
- Theme parties (e.g. Christmas, "Italian" Night, "Track Season," St. Patricks Day)
- Cocktail Hours
Whether you're looking for a solo performer, a duet, or larger ensemble, I can help you find the right music and combination of instruments to make your event special and memorable.
- Light Classical, Jazz, and Pop played on an acoustic guitar
- Soothing, easy-listening piano music to add ambience to a dinner party
- Folk and Bluegrass sung and played on acoustic guitar and banjo
- Solo Classical guitar music for your wedding
See Repertoire page for song lists
- Classical guitar & violin playing various repertoire of your choosing for your wedding (e.g. Bridal March, Pachelbel's Canon, Ave Maria, etc.)
- Classical Guitar and female vocalist also for your wedding (e.g. Ave Maria, Annie's song, etc.)
- Accordian & fiddle – strolling musicians for your outdoor party
- Lively music for your St. Patrick's Day, Christmas, or "flat-track" theme party
- Instrumental Jazz and Pop music played on piano and guitar (e.g. Gershwin, Sinatra, Jobin, Beatles, etc.)
- Anything from a trio (guitar, bass, drums) to a 6-piece Rock-Pop band with a female vocalist. I can work with you to find the right group to fit your occasion and budget.
This is of course highly variable, depending on size of group, length of time required, and travel distance. This is all worked out on a case by case basis; but rest assured, I will find you the best music to fit your budget and needs!